Saturday, May 3, 2008

Steep climb to the summit

I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. I overslept and didn't have time to warm up, and today my cast actually had an all day marathon musical rehearsal with the conductor. I felt like I was singing like a cow all day (I'm sure it was not as bad as I thought, but you know how that is) and then after 5 hours of musical rehearsal, we had one of our precious but short sessions on the stage with the director.

This is how those stagings go (in which we have to get as much accomplished in one hour as the other cast has accomplished in three weeks): "Okay, you just killed a man, you don't know if you're going to stay and confess or run away, you stand here, cross to here, sing from here, and then throw this prop at this person. GO!" And then you have to remember all your words, find your motivation, sing the right notes and rhythms, do all the staging correctly (there's no time to go back), pronounce all the italian perfectly (you're in italy after all) and impress everyone with your musical and dramatic skills on the first try. It's daunting to say the least. But you know, it's definitely the kind of thing that forces you to grow as an artist, and I find the director incredibly interesting, and he inspires me to push myself beyond what I think I'm capable of. The first performance is going to be terrifying, but also truly thrilling. And it all happens.....exactly two weeks from today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maggiori sono le difficoltà da affrontare, più grande sarà il successo dopo averle superate!
V.